The Gemini Companies (Gemini) today released findings from a survey taken during its recent webinar, “The How, When and Where of Managed Accounts.” The event was moderated by Matt Ackermann, Director of Digital Content at InvestmentNews, with an array of perspectives and insights delivered from:
• An outsourced investment manager (OCIO): Anthony Festa, Managing Principal & Head of Portfolio Strategy, FEG Investment Advisers
• A portfolio construction adviser: John Linder, Managing Director, Ryan Labs Asset Management
• A managed account solutions provider: David Young, President, Gemini’s Solutions for Hedge/Alternative Funds
During the event, institutional asset owners were polled, designating strategy customization (68%) as the greatest advantage of managed accounts, with transparency (16%), control/governance (11%), and fee reductions noted as other benefits they valued.
Mr. Festa commented, “Investment advice is not ‘one size fits all.’ The results show a clear need in the market for a solution that enables bespoke, seamless, and cost effective portfolio construction.”
Registrants were also asked about their preferred managed account structure, with third-party platforms being their top preference (74%), followed by a proprietary platform (19%), and fund of one (7%).
“These types of platforms allow portfolio managers to focus on their core competency – generating alpha – while removing the operational burdens,” said Mr. Linder. Investors are the beneficiaries, as the economics of using these platforms can mean lower fees and increased flexibility and customization.
Other benefits of a managed account platform revealed during the event include:
- Access to managers at lower minimums than would be required of a direct relationship
- Better liquidity terms than is typical of a direct relationship
- Full transparency (trade-level data)
- Guideline monitoring provided by a third-party
- Convenience – electronic subscription, ease of allocation changes, single K-1, and single sub-doc
To Learn More:
LISTEN to the webinar.
Since 1983, Gemini has been providing our partners an ever-expanding suite of services for their investment products, such as modern investor servicing tools, portfolio administration and accounting, comprehensive compliance programs, and guidance on regulations, auditing, and distribution. Gemini’s consultative approach and culture of service helps managers and investors navigate and flourish in today’s increasingly sophisticated and dynamic investment landscape.
Gemini provides a single, integrated solution that supports the launching and servicing of mutual funds, hedge funds, ETFs, private equity funds, variable annuity trusts, and state-sponsored 529 plans. We also offer customized structures designed to support the unique needs of pensions, endowments, and foundations.
Gemini is a subsidiary of NorthStar Financial Services Group, LLC, which has over 875 employees and over $777 billion in assets under management and administration as of February 28, 2018. For more information, please visit www.thegeminicompanies.com.